Monday, December 24, 2012

Overdue Book Review: Feed

The last three months, I was on a blogging hiatus. I missed writing up reviews of several books, but would still like to give my overall thoughts.

Overdue Book Review = Read in July 2012

Feed
by M.T. Anderson
Purchased/Paperback
Genre: Sci-Fi/Dystopian
Big Themes: Media, Advertising, Humanity, Reality
*Grad School Text*

Summary: In the future, everyone has an internet feed implanted in their brain. When Titus takes a weekend trip to the moon with his friends, he meets Violet, a beautiful and intelligent girl. Titus experiences life without the Feed with Violet and his eyes are opened.

What I Loved:

Relevance: This book echoes great dystopian classics such as 1984 by George Orwell and is a brilliant satire of our current internet use and streaming of technology.

World-Building: The world that Anderson creates is memorable and expertly crafted. One of the way Anderson does this is through his use of language and the way he invents new words/uses. You could do a whole study on the way language is used in this book and I'm pretty sure people have.

Characters: Violet is such a memorable and beautiful character that brought me to tears, but a lot of the beauty of her character is in how Titus interacts with her. A lot of people are frustrated and angry with Titus by the end of the book, but I thought the book was realistic and purposeful.

Forewarning:

People have strong reactions to this book. In my class, people either LOVED it or HATED it. I'm in the love camp, but I love dystopian fiction and sci-fi. I think this book is a great commentary on our current society and serves as a poignant warning for what we could become. This is not a dystopian book with a hero, adventure, and a happy ending, unlike a lot of dystopian novels out there right now. It's a true satire.

Overall Rating: I would definitely give this book five stars for being one of the most amazing dystopian books of the new millennium, a dark cautionary tale.



1 comment:

  1. Interesting... I've been meaning to read it for a while and I think I'll enjoy it more now that I have an idea of what to expect.

    ReplyDelete

I love discussing books and writing with people, so thank you for taking the time to comment!

If you leave a link to your blog, I will always try to comment back :)