Sunday, September 2, 2012

Going on a Hiatus

This is something that I really did not want to have to do, but I have come to the realization that it is something I need to do.  I'm putting my blog on hiatus.

I sincerely love blogging.  I love sharing what I thought of books.  I love the blogging community.  I love discussing books with other bloggers.  I love hearing about new books coming out.

But there is one thing that's more important to me right now, and that is writing my novel.  And because I love blogging so much, it is too easy for me to get caught up in writing blog posts and posting comments instead of the other kind of writing I should be doing.

Besides being a full time teacher, I'm taking a writing course this fall that is going to involve presentations, critiques, writing exercises, and regular submissions.  Just looking at the syllabus made me question whether I'd have much free time this fall.

And then I sat down and did some goal setting.  I have set a goal for myself to have a revised and finished novel ready to query by this time next year.  In order to do that, I need to have a finished first draft by January 1st.  Which is entirely doable if I stick to a writing goal of 3,000 words a week.  I've consistently met this goal in the past, and know that it is something I can accomplish.  But not if I have distractions.

And because I love blogging so much, it is a distraction.

I want to maintain the friendships I've started with fellow bloggers, so I'm going to set aside two hours a week to comment on my favorite blogs.  (I'm so dreadfully behind right now, but thanks to Labor Day, you may hear from me tomorrow morning.)  Know that I'm still reading your blogs, often from my iPhone as I sit in a dreadfully boring school meeting, and you're making me smile.  But I may be a more silent, mysterious follower.

Much love, and hopefully you'll hear from a very happy me on January 1st who is holding a complete 1st draft of a novel in her hands.

(I'll still be on goodreads because I HAVE TO keep track of what I'm reading.  I won't be posting extensive reviews, but if you want to see what I think of books I'm reading, here's my goodreads profile.)

4 comments:

  1. We'll be here when you get back. Good luck!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Completely understood. You seem like a person who has her priorities in check and knows exactly how to accomplish them. It is so exciting to me that you could be finishing up your first draft by the end of this year! Good luck to you!!

    Oh, and I've started watching Legend of Korra, as per your recommendation. Loving it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you love Korra!!! I love it too, and Nick just signed them for two more seasons for a total of four seasons! Yay!

      Delete

I love discussing books and writing with people, so thank you for taking the time to comment!

If you leave a link to your blog, I will always try to comment back :)