Monday, May 16, 2011

Scheduling Writing Time

I am terribly guilty of not holding myself accountable to any sort of writing schedule.

Let's get the excuses out of the way:

  • Lesson planning
  • Grading papers
  • Laundry
  • Cleaning
  • Quick run to Target (1 hour later...)
  • Naptime (3 hours later...)
  • Must read *amazing* book
  • Must read grad school book
  • Check Facebook (1 hour later...)
  • Check Goodreads (1 hour later...)
  • Read fabulous author blogs about being fabulous author (1 hour later...)
  • Watch bizarre/pointless/hysterical YouTube video(s)....
  • Watch stupid TV shows I don't even care about

Now, that's done.  If I really want to BE a writer.  If writing is IMPORTANT to me.  I need to make time for it.

So, I'm a teacher.  And what do teachers do to help students be accountable for their work?  We report on their progress, set goals, and offer incentives.

I'm going to do the same.

Report Progress:

  • Daily: I will record my daily word count on a calendar on my desk.
  • Weekly: (Inspired by Bonnie at http://abackwardsstory.blogspot.com/) I am going to post my weekly word count on Wednesdays.  You may wag your finger at me if I disappoint you.

Set Goals:

  • Short Term Goal: To write 1,000 words 5 days a week
  • Long Term Goal: To have a finished 1st draft of a novel by August 15th.

Incentives:

  • Daily: I get a sticker on my calendar!
  • Weekly: If I achieve my short term goal (1g x 5 days) then I get to buy a bouquet of fresh flowers to go in the vase on my writing desk.
  • BIG Incentive: ??? I have to think on this.

Yippee!  Stickers!
I love fresh flowers!  So pretty!

That's my plan.  I'm also trying to get in writer mode for grad school.  I'm taking two creative classes and really want to push myself this summer and do well.

Do you think my plan will work?


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love discussing books and writing with people, so thank you for taking the time to comment!

If you leave a link to your blog, I will always try to comment back :)