Tuesday, May 17, 2011

If I could make it happen... I would

If you want to write children's literature, you should join SCBWI (Society for Children's Book Writers and Illustrators).  They send you all kinds of awesome newsletters and info about the world of children's publishing.  You can join even if you aren't a published author.


I joined this year after a recommendation from one of my grad school professors, and have been really impressed with everything they've sent me.


They also hold two BIG conferences each year.  The summer conference is in Los Angeles.  The winter conference is in New York City.


Just to show you what caliber of speakers are at these conferences, here are the keynote speakers for the Summer 2011 conference: Laurie Halse Anderson, Libba Bray,  Bruce Coville, John Green, Norton Juster, Donna Jo Napoli, Mary Pope Osborne, Gary Paulsen, Jerry Pinkney, Jon Scieszka and David Small


Yeah.  They're all kind of a big deal.


Downside: The conference is expensive.  Registration is $425 for SCBWI members and $525 for non-members.  That's just registration... there's also airfare, hotel...


And then there's this optional extra day of workshops you can sign up for (for another $200).  I was curious what kind of workshops they offered, so I opened their cute little flyer... and see...


One workshop is taught by Arthur A. Levine.
The editor who did Harry Potter.
Arthur A. Levine
Arthur A. Levine
Arthur A. Levine


O. M. G.


The workshop was already sold out.
Not that I would have the $1,000 dollars it would cost to fly out to LA and go to this thing.
Especially not after the $8,000 worth of grad classes this summer.


But if I could make that class happen... if I could take a class with the guy who published Harry Potter... I would.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love discussing books and writing with people, so thank you for taking the time to comment!

If you leave a link to your blog, I will always try to comment back :)